No. this is not an April Fools Joke. Today marks the beginning of the Titanic 2012 “Everything Goes” Challenge – books, movies, whatever!
This month commemorates the centennial of the Titanic tragedy. There are so many books and movies (newly released and worth revisiting) that are being showcased this month (obviously due to the advertising) and I don’t know about you – but I definitely have a Titanic obsession (and have one since 1997).
While the challenge technically starts today – anything you’ve read recently to adhere to release dates also counts (I’m apparently a push over). Edit: I forgot to mention, technically the challenge only goes until the end of April (but personal year-long challenges are always acceptable).
So, like other reading challenges, there are levels of participation! I apologize if this seems crass; it is meant (obviously) in irony.
3rd Class – Read or watch 2 books/movies involving the Titanic
2nd Class - Read or watch 4 books/movies involving the Titanic
1st Class - Read or watch 6 books/movies involving the Titanic
While you don’t need to list what you plan to read/watch here is a short list of possibilities.
- Titanic: The Long Night by Diane Hoh (Highly recommend!)
- Hearts that Survive by Yvonne Lehman
- Murder on the Titanic by James Walker (Highly recommend!)
- Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn
- Titanic (1997) - I’ll definitely be seeing this in 3D
- Titanic (1996) – I love this TV version!
- Britannic (2000) – It still counts
- Ghosts of the Abyss (2003)
- The Watch that Ends the Night by Allan Wolf
- The Discovery of the Titanic by Robert Ballard
- Titanic Crossing by Barbara Williams (MG)
- SOS Titanic by Eve Bunting
- Raise the Titanic by Clive Cussler (MG)
- Remembering the Titanic by Diane Hoh
Of course, any nonfiction book or documentary also counts – these are just a few suggestions. Again, you don’t need to make a list unless you feel inclined. If you do make a list – make sure to link it below so we can all stop by and visit! Each Sunday this month I’ll also have a linky posted so you can link any reviews you may have completed!
Tomorrow I’ll be posting about my obsessive relationship with the Titanic - stay tuned for some major geekery. I hope you can participate as much or as little as you please!