On Friday Sheila (Book Journey) posted her recent “SQUEE” worthy moments and as the days have passed I’ve realized how powerful a thing it is to be thankful for and acknowledge “squee” moments. I won’t lie, the past few months have been hard on me – two months ago yesterday my dad passed away and since then I’ve really been struggling to get back on my feet. My dad and I were extremely close and my heart is still hurting and numb. Today, however, I don’t want to dwell on that but rather on everything HAS been going my way since then.
- My first semester of graduate school has been going great! I love being a student (almost as much as I love being a teacher) and I have revived my love of learning. I’m signed up for my summer and fall semesters and am looking forward to graduation in December 2013.
- Dan is getting off weekend package at the hospital in time for summer and I can’t wait to have some time with him!
- Dan and I are going on a cruise with his parents and Aunt and Uncle in July!
- We are also going to MEXICO in December! I’ve just been given official permission from the superintendent to use my four personal days!
- I’m learning Spanish! I’ve downloaded this crazy cool app (don’t laugh – it works) called LearnSpanish and I have been practicing as I walk the dogs, brush my teeth, etc. I’m mostly learning sayings that will be applicable to my travels – such as “I’m just looking,” “how much,” etc. I’m also taking classes this summer through the Dakota Language Institute.
- My mom is moving to Bismarck this summer. I am SO excited to have her close to me! Bismarck’s economy is BOOMING and I think there are a total of 10 or fewer houses on the market so I was REALLY stressed about finding her the perfect, permanent home that fit all of her needs (no steps, two bedroom, two bath, garage, pet friendly, and an association to take care of lawn and snow). After a month of searching I found the perfect condo on my side of town! It’s literally a few miles away and it’s just being built. It will be ready in August! I am SO excited and SO thankful it all worked out.
- I’m currently teaching “Frankenstein” to my seniors – one of my favorite novels. It’s going well. I’m teaching “Caesar” to my sophomores. We just finished Act III (the murder scene) and they are finally getting used to the language! I love Shakespeare and I think they are warming up to the bard as well.
- I signed a full-time contract for next year and will therefore have a huge pay increase! I’m so blessed to have a job teaching in such a rough economy at a great school. I often think back to last year when I was freaking out about leaving the perfect school district to sub in North Dakota. I still miss BV, but CHS has been good to me and I’m loving it. I am so blessed and so fortunate.
- Through Dave Ramsey’s FPU we are doing great with budgeting. We’re able to afford to go on vacations and travel (while it’s just the two of us) but we’re making great headway on our student loans. April was our last month of paying on Dan’s student loans. Now we start mine! We should be debt free (minus the house) in hopefully three years!
- Pippin is doing well. I’m so protective over him since “the incident” but he’s returned to his normal self and, while I know he must miss Dad dearly, he’s playing and happy.
- Prim, too, is doing well. We started Puppy Classes at PetSmart on Thursday and it was an adventure. She’s happy as ever and more lovable everyday. We are so blessed she came into our family when she did as she reminds me on a daily basis that life is still new, still fun, and still worth it.
- I’ve gotten all of the thank you cards from the funeral written and mailed. With the wedding, Christmas cards, and now this – I’m ready to be done with mass mailings for awhile.
- I have a beautiful house in a wonderful neighborhood in a great community where I am surrounded by friends and family.
- There’s a Yankee Candle sale going on this weekend – buy two large candles get a third free! Perfect for Mother’s Day! It’s the small things that count – right.
- While I could continue to go on, I think you get the gist. This is by no means the “last” or the “least.” I’m married to my best friend in the whole world and I am SO blessed to have him in my life. He’s been my rock these past two years. So many negative things have happened in my life since Summer 2010 (the summer Dan and I started dating) that I know he was sent to me specifically at that time to keep me sane, keep me positive, and to bring me light when I was lost in the darkness.
Well, those are my “squee” moments that I am thankful for. Thank you Sheila for reminding me to take a moment and to think not on the harshness of the winter but on the new life that Spring brings. Love you girl!
What are your “squee” moments? Have you thought about them lately? It’s so easy (believe me) to dwell on the injustices and negativity of the world. Do yourself a favor and take today to be thankful and count your blessings.
Happy Sunday everybody. I’m going to Yankee Candle (see #14).